Yaesu FTA-550L – 5W hand-held airband transceiver with VOR and ILS features from £149
- Credit: Archant
The Yaesu FTA-550L is a VHF Airband Transceiver packed with features, yet very affordable. Boasting an oversized. 1.7” x 1.7” full dot matrix LCD display, the FTA-550L provides full communication on the Aircraft communications Band (“COM” band: 118 ~ 136.975 MHz) and additionally provides VOR and ILS navigation features on the “NAV” band (108 ~ 117.975 MHz). It also includes NOAA weather band monitoring and the capability of programming up to 200 memory channels with a quick and easy channel recall feature. The easy to operate, menu system is icon driven making it simple to navigate through all of the powerful features this transceiver has to offer. Additionally the Yaesu FTA-550L can easily be reprogrammed in minutes using the optional PC Programming software and the supplied USB programming cable. The ‘L’ version features a high capacity Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery that will last over 13.5 hours between charges and an Alkaline battery tray for AA batteries is included (there is also an FTA-550AA that runs only on AA batteries).
The Yaesu FTA-550L features an IPX5 waterproof design that protects it against rain and water jets, which is great for flight line personnel, airshow use, and anyone using a transceiver outdoors where it may rain.
In addition an 800mw audio amplifier makes the FTA-550L louder than almost any other handheld transceiver available today (for example, it’s about 35% louder than the Icom IC-A23).
Breaking the squelch threshold has never been easier. Press the Squelch button for two seconds and the FTA-550L’s squelch remains opened for monitoring weak and distant signals. Pressing Squelch again restores squelch settings. This is TRUE one handed operation. No need to fumble with tightly spaced concentric knobs!
- 1 Flight test: Comco Ikarus C42C
- 2 Broadband from stratospheric airship
- 3 Last Airbus 380 delivered to Emirates
Features of the Yaesu FTA-550L Airband Transceiver:
• 5 Watts TX Output Power (Airband: AM 5W P.E.P. type, 1.5W carrier)
• Huge 1.7” x 1.7” Full Dot Matrix display (160 x 160 Dots)
• ILS Navigation Display (Localizer)
• VOR Navigation Display
• NOAA Weather Channel and Weather Alert (USA only)
• 200 Memory Channels with 15 alphanumeric characters
• Back-lit Keypad and display with dimmer
• Water Protection -IPX5 Rating
• Loud Audio (800 mW speaker)
• High capacity Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) Battery (1800 mAh)
• 25 kHz and 8.33 kHz channel spacing
• Alkaline Battery Tray (AA x 6) also included
• Headset Adapter included
• Cigarette Lighter Adapter included
Your Yaesu FTA-550L includes:
• Lithium Ion battery (1800 mAh)
• AC Charger
• Charger Cradle
• Cigarette Lighter Adapter
• BNC Helical Antenna
• Headset adapter
• Alkaline battery tray
• Quick Draw Belt Clip
• USB Cable
• Ferrite Core
• User Guide / Operating Manual
• Warranty Card
TX 118.000 - 136.975 MHz (COM Band), RX 108.000 - 117.975 MHz (NAV Band), RX 118.000 - 136.975 MHz (COM Band), WX channels WX-01 - WX-10 8.33 Khz channel spacing.
User selectable 25 kHz or 8.33 kHz
5.0 W (PEP), 1.5 W (Carrier Power) @ 7.2 V DC 700mw audio amplifier.
Case Size (WxHxD): 2.4 x 5.2 x 1.3 inches (62 x 133 x 34 mm) without knob or antenna
Weight (approx.): 14.5 ounces / 410 grams with battery and antenna