FAA Approves Robinson R44 Cadet Helicopter
PUBLISHED: 16:11 12 May 2016 | UPDATED: 16:11 12 May 2016
The Robinson Helicopter Company has received FAA certification for its two-place R44 Cadet helicopter
Combining the best of the R22 and R44, Robinson believes the Cadet’s price of $339,000 (with floats $367,000) will appeal to the training market as well as operators that want the economy of a small helicopter with the comfort, power, and performance of a larger helicopter.
The Cadet’s airframe, rotor system, and power plant (Lycoming O-540-F1B5) are the same as the proven R44 Raven I. However, the Cadet’s rear seats have been removed to provide a larger cargo space, the maximum gross weight has been reduced to 2200 lb, and the engine power has been derated to 210 hp takeoff and 185 hp continuous.
The lower weight and derated power provide increased performance margins at high altitudes and extend the time between overhaul from 2200 hours to 2400 hours. A variety of optional equipment including air conditioning, stability augmentation system and autopilot, and avionic packages for VFR or IFR training are available. Robinson is now accepting orders with lead times estimated at 10-12 weeks.
• Gross Weight – 2200 lb (998 kg)
• Empty Weight (including oil & avionics) – 1432 lb (650 kg)
• Max Fuel (46.5 gal) – 279 lb (126 kg)
• Pilot, Passenger and Baggage with full fuel – 489 lb (222 kg)
• Cruise Speed – up to 110 kts (127 mph)
• Max Range (no reserve) – approximate 300 nm (350 sm)
• Hover Ceiling IGE @ Max Weight – 8750 ft
• Hover Ceiling OGE @ Max Weight – 5250 ft
• Rate of Climb – over 1,000 fpm
• Max Operating Altitude – 14,000 ft
Founded in 1973, Robinson Helicopter Company is the world’s leading manufacturer of civil
helicopters. For additional information, visit www.robinsonheli.com.