Maiden flight of the Diamond Aircraft DART-450
- Credit: Archant
The turbine powered DART-450 takes to the skies for its first flight.
The DART-450 (Diamond Aircraft Reconnaissance Trainer) is the first worldwide all-carbon fibre tandem, 2-seat civilian and military trainer with a side stick and pneumatic ejection seats.
The +7/-5G aerobatic airplane has a maximum take-off power of 500 hp, is equipped with the Ivchenko-Progress / Motor Sich AI-450S turboprop engine, a 5-blade MT propeller, and a GARMIN avionic system. Maximum endurance of the DART is 8 hours plus reserve.
Within the first 60 minutes of flight time, speeds between 60 – 200 knots IAS have been tested at various altitudes. The eDART -450 is expected to reach top speeds of 250 knots TAS.
Christian Dries, CEO of Diamond Aircraft said: “Company Chief Test Pilot Ingmar Mayerbuch and Flight Test Engineer Thomas Wimmer have been so excited about the first results that certification and serial production is green-lighted”.
Diamond Aircraft Chief Designer Clemens Knappert: “We achieved our target from the first drawings to the first flight in one year. I’m already excited about what comes next.”
- 4 Flight test: Globe Super Swift
- 5 Flight test: Cessna 182C
- 6 Flight test: Sukhoi Su-29
- 7 100 years of Fournier: a history of aviation’s original ‘green’ promoter
- 8 Pilot interview with: Grant Shapps, Transport Secretary
- 9 Ryanair to recruit 2,000 pilots
- 10 Rolls-Royce Spirit of Innovation takes to the air