Richard Breakspear, Operations Manager at Devon and Somerset Flight Training, has died
- Credit: Archant
Breakspear died suddenly while on holiday at the end of August
A statement from the company reads:
“It is with such great sadness that we find ourselves having to announce the news that Richard Breakspear from Devon and Somerset Flight Training Ltd, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on Sunday 30th August whilst away on holiday.
“Richard started his aviation career and passion in 1986 as a 16 year old YTS student at Dunkeswell and was truly the constant face and fixture of the flying club over the 34 years that followed.
“In 2015 Richard was supported by the Honourable Company of Air Pilots in the form of an FIC Scholarship and since obtaining has been able to share his GA passion with many students in Devon.
“In recent years he had an important role in obtaining the schools ATO certification and taking on the role of Operations and Safety Manager.
“He will be very sadly missed by both his young family and many thousands of pilots and students he encouraged over the 34 years at Dunkeswell Airfield.”
- 1 100 years of Fournier: a history of aviation’s original ‘green’ promoter
- 2 Ryanair to recruit 2,000 pilots
- 3 Diamond DA50 now in the UK
- 4 Legal fight over warbird training
- 5 Shapps announces independent body for CAA appeals
- 6 The Penny Pilot: cost-sharing on private flights to avoid commercial regulations
- 7 5 of the best summer destinations for pilots | Mediterranean islands & cities
- 8 Flight test: Comco Ikarus C42C
- 9 Flight test: Piper PA-23-250 Aztec
- 10 Production Mustang replica flies!
Devon & Somerset Flight Training have established a successful crowdfunding campaign to create a scholarship in Richard’s memory and at the time of writing it has raised £7,409 of its £10,000 target.
Click here to read more about the scholarship and to make a donation.