The CAA announces measures to enhance safety at airshows
PUBLISHED: 12:39 26 January 2016 | UPDATED: 13:58 26 January 2016
New measures, detailed in the authority’s Action Report from its ongoing review of civil air display safety in the UK, were announced on 26 January.
To increase safety at airshows, the CAA is enhancing:
• The requirements for permissions to hold a display and requiring earlier notification to the CAA
• Training and checks for those responsible for overseeing air displays
• Requirements relating to the experience, skill and health of display pilots; and
• The role of the Display Authorisation Examiners (DAEs)
The measures the CAA put in place in the immediate aftermath of the accident at Shoreham in August 2015 will stand until the AAIB’s investigation has concluded, at which point the authority says ‘they will be reviewed alongside any findings or recommendations made’. These measures are:
1. The grounding of all Hawker Hunter aircraft
2. Ex-military jets operating over land are restricted to fly-pasts only and are not permitted to perform aerobatics
3. Airshows subject to enhanced risk assessments
“After the tragic accident at Shoreham air show last summer, we began a thorough review examining every aspect of civil air display safety,” says Tony Rapson, Head of General Aviation at the CAA. “Today we’re announcing a series of measures that will enhance the safety of UK airshows… In 2016, no airshow will go ahead without being subject to an enhanced risk assessment, and having to comply with tighter requirements for training, oversight and notification.”
The Air Display Review is overseen by an independent challenge panel, put in place to scrutinise and critique the CAA’s work, chaired by Geoffrey Podger CB, former Chief Executive of the Health and Safety Executive.
The CAA is says it is committed to publishing the Air Display Review’s final report in early 2016, and will continue to work with its stakeholders to ensure that airshow safety is constantly examined and strengthened.
The full Action Report can be downloaded here